Wednesday, August 29, 2012

A Different Shopping Day



I watched this entire film the other night with DH.  Live58 is based on

Isaiah 58

1 “Shout it aloud, do not hold back. Raise your voice like a trumpet. Declare to my people their rebellion and to the house of Jacob their sins. 2 For day after day they seek me out; they seem eager to know my ways, as if they were a nation that does what is right and has not forsaken the commands of its God. They ask me for just decisions and seem eager for God to come near them. 3 ‘Why have we fasted,’ they say, ‘and you have not seen it? Why have we humbled ourselves, and you have not noticed?’
“Yet on the day of your fasting, you do as you please and exploit all your workers. 4 Your fasting ends in quarreling and strife, and in striking each other with wicked fists. You cannot fast as you do today and expect your voice to be heard on high. 5 Is this the kind of fast I have chosen, only a day for a man to humble himself ? Is it only for bowing one’s head like a reed and for lying on sackcloth and ashes? Is that what you call a fast, a day acceptable to the LORD?
6 “Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen: to loose the chains of injustice and untie the cords of the yoke, to set the oppressed free and break every yoke? 7 Is it not to share your food with the hungry and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter– when you see the naked, to clothe him, and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood? 8 Then your light will break forth like the dawn, and your healing will quickly appear; then your righteousness will go before you, and the glory of the LORD will be your rear guard. 9 Then you will call, and the LORD will answer; you will cry for help, and he will say: Here am I.
“If you do away with the yoke of oppression, with the pointing finger and malicious talk, 10 and if you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry and satisfy the needs of the oppressed, then your light will rise in the darkness, and your night will become like the noonday. 11 The LORD will guide you always; he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land and will strengthen your frame. You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose waters never fail. 12 Your people will rebuild the ancient ruins and will raise up the age-old foundations; you will be called Repairer of Broken Walls, Restorer of Streets with Dwellings.
13 “If you keep your feet from breaking the Sabbath and from doing as you please on my holy day, if you call the Sabbath a delight and the LORD’s holy day honorable, and if you honor it by not going your own way and not doing as you please or speaking idle words, 14 then you will find your joy in the LORD, and I will cause you to ride on the heights of the land and to feast on the inheritance of your father Jacob.” The mouth of the LORD has spoken.

From THE HOLY BIBLE: NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION (NIV)

I am reading the book, 58: FAST LIVING - HOW THE CHURCH WILL END EXTREME POVERTY by Scott C. Todd, PhD.

I read one chapter each night before bed.  I am on chapter 10.  Today I went to the big city for a shopping day with my Mom. 

I could not stop thinking about the video clip above; of which I watched the entire thing.  I could not stop thinking of our families desire to go on the journey, A Place at the Table, starting the end of September.  I could not stop thinking how far my money would go outside the mall.  Outside the walls of consumerism at its worst. 

I could not stop thinking of "the game" I played to see if I could survive on $1.25/day like the 1.3 BILLION people who are trying to survive.  Play it and let me know how you do.  It woke me up. 

Yes, I bought a few things: A Bible written like a story called, "The Story" for DH to read the boys at night.  A gift for my son, a gift for my daughter and a shower curtain.  Nothing else caught my eye.  Nothing was "calling my name."  Nothing was able to shout over the little voice of the 884 million people who don't have access to clean water and are dying because of it. 

I could not stop thinking of others.

Praise Jesus.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my blog! I may not reply to each one but know that I read each and every comment.

May God Bless You!