Sunday, June 18, 2006

Daddy

Walk A Little Plainer Daddy
author unknown

"Walk a little plainer, Daddy" said a little boy so frail.
"I'm following in your footsteps And I don't want to fail.
Sometimes your steps are very plain,
Sometimes they are hard to see.
So walk a little plainer, Daddy, for you are leading me."

"I know that once you walked this way many years ago.
And what you did along the way I'd really like to know.
For sometime when I am tempted don't know what to do.
So walk a little plainer, Daddy for I must follow you."

"Someday when I'm grown up, you are like I want to be.
Then I will have a little boy, who will want to follow me.
And I would want to lead him right and help him to be true.
So walk a little plainer, Daddy for we must follow you."
I love my Dad. He has always been a great Daddy. Any man can father a child (or sire as I like to say) but it takes someone special to be a Daddy. It takes time. Patience. Love. Forgiveness. He is a man of integrity, one of unchanging character. Who you see on Sunday is who I have seen (and lived with) every day of my life!
I could go on and on about my Dad and how great he is. However, God has blessed me with a husband who is also a great Daddy. He got a rough start and made a few mistakes along the way (haven't we all) but who he is today is night and day from who he used to be. He is all the things good in a Daddy. He loves spending time with his children, playing with them, reading to them, bestowing gifts on them. He takes pleasure in bathing Paco, doing the girls' hair and hanging out with Troy. He is a father to many - not just his own children, but a role model to our youth, to his nieces and nephews and to our "adopted son" Reggie. He is DAD.
See, Roy grew up without a Dad. The father figures he had were not kind and good men to him. They did not teach him the ways of the Lord nor guide him to be a righteous man. When he married me, he did not know how lucky he was! He got a DAD! To see the two of them together can bring tears to my eyes. Roy loves my Daddy so much. He is the father he has dreamed of having - never thinking it possible. God is Good and will provide for us what we need - what we desire. Roy has a Daddy now - Roy is a Daddy now.
I can't imagine Father's Day without my Dad. It's my sister-in-laws first one without her Daddy and she is having an awful time. How could one not, especially when they are really good father's?! So, I'll save these tears of sadness for another time and instead shed tears of joy of being so blessed to have a great Dad and a great husband.


Daddy’s Hands
I remember Daddy’s hands folded silently in prayer
and reaching out to hold me when I had a nightmare
You would read quite a story in the callouses and lines
years of work and worry had left their mark behind.

I remember Daddy’s hands how they held my mama tight
and patted my back selfishly for something done right.
There are things that I’ve forgotten that I loved about the man
But I’ll always remember the love in Daddy’s hands.

I remember Daddy’s hands working till they bled
and sacrificed unselfishly just to keep us all fed.
If I could do things over I’d live my again
and never take for granted the love in Daddy’s hands

Daddy’s hands were soft and kind when I was crying
Daddy’s hands were hard as steel when I’d done wrong
Daddy’s hands weren’t always gentle but I’ve come to understand
There was always love in Daddy’s hands.
~Unknown

1 comment:

  1. Those poems really brought tears to my eyes, as did all of the stories entwined between them. You have been blessed with a great Daddy, one that is accepting of your DH as his own. That is so special and rare, which is clear to see you and your DH are grateful for. Paco and the rest of your children can only benefit from such a wonderful family.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my blog! I may not reply to each one but know that I read each and every comment.

May God Bless You!