Sunday, July 22, 2012

Where's the joy in...?

I love this week as I attend our annual church conference.  I brought my Mom and girls early and we had a shopping day and have already seen many dear friends & my nearly 90 aunt.

What is on my heart though is, "where's the joy in _____? 

Where's the joy in not having everything I needed for this week and being 8 hrs away from home?

Where's the joy in having the wrong ham to eat, my soda not brought, a needed back pack forgotten 400 miles away?

Where's the joy in being called out on a poor attitude?

After everything is done for tomorrow's day camp prep; everyone else goes to bed.  I sit down at the kitchen table and bow my head.

I breathe in and out.  I sing in my heart,

"Oh, Lord, You're beautiful.  
Your face is all I seek.  
And when Your eyes are on this child, 
Your grace abounds to me. 

I want to take your word and shine it all around.
But first help me to just, live it lord.
And when I'm doing well, help me to never seek a crown.
For my reward is giving glory to you.
 

Oh lord, please light the fire,
That once burned bright and clean.
Replace the lamp of my first love,
That burns with holy fear.

I want to take your word and shine it all around.
But first help me to just, live it lord.
And when I'm doing well, help me to never seek a crown.
For my reward is giving glory to you.

Oh lord, you're beautiful,
Your face is all I see,
For when your eyes are on this child,
Your grace abounds to me. 


For when your eyes are on this child,
Your grace abounds to me.


I'm no Keith Green but I am so thankful that he was created and left this song for me tonight.

So, where is the joy?  It's inside.  We have ham to eat - it just has to be sliced and isn't as "convenient" as I wanted.  Waah.  Many can't even get ham to eat if they wanted it. 

Where's the joy?  Right here - I can buy my soda tomorrow.  It's a luxury, not necessity.  How selfish were my earlier thoughts!  Ugh.

Where's the joy?  In knowing Him.  I emptied out a duffel bag for day camp tomorrow and while not as easy for son to carry around with him, it will work.  We'll remember next year and it is going to be okay!

I really want my first response to be the one I end with but struggle to get there first.  I struggle with boys underfoot misbehaving and tired and out of sorts to find the joy first and stop and pray. 

I need to stop and pray first.  I will try to take some time before reacting next time and seek His face.  When I look to Jesus and focus on Him, His grace washes over me and joy fills my soul.

My prayer tonight is part of this song - "But first help me to just live it Lord."

and then, when I am doing well, to never seek a crown (or praise or kudos) for my reward is giving glory to Jesus.

The fire is lit!  Just as it once burned bright and clean! 

When Stressed Action Plan:
1) Stop - get alone
2) Quiet - shut my mind & mouth off
3) Seek Him!
4) Spend time in prayer
5) Allow His grace to wash over me, filling me.
6) Just live it
7) Spill joy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my blog! I may not reply to each one but know that I read each and every comment.

May God Bless You!