Wednesday, April 09, 2014

Quaking during Lent

Our little Quaker family is 65% through Lent.  I'm not sure we are supposed to be keeping track of the days, but hey, we are new at this 40 day fasting "thang." 

We have read all of: Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Acts, Romans, 1 & 2 Corinthians, Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, and Colossians.  Today we will read all of 1 & 2 Thessalonians. 

We have gone from listening and reading the chapters snuggling in our bed to sitting around the table.  This has served two purposes: staying awake and well, staying awake. 

If one stays awake, it's amazing how much more you can get out of the scriptures!

I have also been struck with how much scripture my children know.  I'm not bragging here.  Far from it.  I actually think, "How on earth do you know that?  I don't know it!" 

To hear them say the words along with the man on YouVersion just makes this moma's heart sing! 

Another thing I've received joy from is watching my baby (yes, he's 7) stop coloring or eating and just LISTEN to the words.  He's so serious and to see his wheels turning while the Word is being spoken is indescribable. 

The third thing I've enjoyed about our "chapter time" is the conversation that takes place.  We pause and share something right then or talk about something that jumped out to us after we are done.  Regardless, we are talking about it! 

Our daughter is really enjoying Paul's attitude/humor/confidence/sarcasm.  He will say something and she will just chuckle at the tone in which he said it. 

If the purpose of Lent is to prepare our hearts for the greatest celebration this side of heaven &/or Christ's return, we are doing it right.  On some fasting things, we may have slipped too many times to count but we are drawing close to Him and I couldn't be more thrilled with my little family.

Paco drew this picture on his own and I couldn't resist sharing it with you.


#LentChallenge

2 comments:

  1. I love that you have included your children in this journey, Joy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did it! 100% with the kiddos. Great journey. Thank you!

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my blog! I may not reply to each one but know that I read each and every comment.

May God Bless You!