Tuesday, January 02, 2007

First Day of School


Today is Paco's first day of preschool. I DROPPED him off at 9:00 and cried all the way home. What will I do with 3 hours wondering if he's okay??? His Daddy is proud and I am sad. My baby is growing up too fast.

Paco was very excited to go to escuela this morning. However, upon arriving and my needed departure, he thought it best if I just stay there with him. I did not cave and the profesora was great in distracting and redirecting him. Thankfully, we've been going to their Moma y Yo classes for over a year and he knows her so that made it easier.

Here is a summary of what preschool he's attending. People from all over drive to Caldwell for her classes!

The Discovering Languages - Spanish Immersion Preschool/Pre-K program is designed to teach children (ages 3-6) a foreign language through "total immersion," while they learn skills that will prepare them for kindergarten. These skills include pre-reading, pre-writing, pre-math, and social skills. Most importantly, children will learn a second language...Spanish!

Using "PlayImmersion," children are immersed in the Spanish language through songs, games, stories, play, crafts, nursery rhymes, computers, etc. The focus of this class will be conversational Spanish and basic vocabulary. Themes may include: animals, colors, numbers, alphabet, daily routine, family, food, weather, calendar, basic greetings, clothing, transportation, seasons, cultural traditions and ethnic holidays.

You can see more at Discovering Languages! It's a great resource for learning a second language.

Update After School - I showed up 15 mins early and watched my son have a blast with his classmates. He was smiling, laughing, singing - keeping the teachers are their toes, too! Profesora said he did great. He cried a bit when he realized I wasn't staying. She was able to distract him and he'd do fine until he "remembered" I wasn't there and would cry a bit and then was distracted by songs, games, etc. When I got there, he wasn't ready to leave but wanted me to stay with him and play. This was our trial day and the profesora and I agreed to bring him one day a week for January and then start February with the Tue/Thu schedule.

Next week I hope to be able to actually accomplish something in the time he's gone...sure Roy hopes so, too!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations, Paco!! What a BIG boy you are now! Camden misses you - - come play soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my blog! I may not reply to each one but know that I read each and every comment.

May God Bless You!