Saturday, March 22, 2008

gDiapers

Well, we did it. We found a hybrid cloth diaper we were willing to try. See, I just couldn't do the laundry for cloth. There are EIGHT of us already - just try to imagine the amout of laundry that we go through in a week, people!

So, we've been reading and researching these gDiapers. We made the initial investment and are trying them out this weekend. What's nice is, if we don't like them, we can send them back! Not that I see that happening but it is an option if they don't work on Javi.

What are these hybrid diapers you wonder? Well, let me tell you. They are the cutest things, short of the cute bum required, of course.

First off, I can compost the wet liners! The decompose in 50-150 days depending on the temperature of the center. The US EPA lists one of the Benefits of Composting as:
~Keeps organic wastes out of landfills. We'll talk about composting in another post, though. Not today - that would be too much info for me to sort through in my mind and get it on paper - errr computer.

Now, what to do with the poo poo liners?? FLUSH 'em! That's right folks, flush 'em right on down the toilet. "The beauty of using gDiapers is that you’re leaving less of a diaper footprint on the Earth. Once your baby’s waste goes through the sewage treatment process to remove pathogens (the viruses and bacteria that pose heath risks) and odors, the resulting solids left over can be recovered and converted to a valuable fertilizer. And here’s the great part: biosolids work better when moisture retaining polymers or SAP are added. Biosolids are often used on tree farms to help grow trees, which is what the main raw material of flushables is!! So, a wonderful circular process – what sustainability is about – and you’re actually helping with each flush you make!! "

Did you know it takes about 500 years for a disposable diaper to biodegrade in a landfill? While I'm sure Heather knows this since she is hard-core cloth diapering mom, I was in denial of what the disposables were doing and how long it took for one liitle diaper to biodegrade.

Anyhoooo, here's another way we're making our place a better place to be.

HAPPY EASTER!!!

1 comment:

  1. Sheeze I might have a kid just so I can get some of those cool gDiapers.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my blog! I may not reply to each one but know that I read each and every comment.

May God Bless You!