Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Simple Gluten Free Potato Soup

Here is a very simple gluten-free potato soup made without a recipe. Though I'll try to spell it out so you can make it, too! The reason I specify it is gluten-free is because many potato soups have gluten in them or, are thickened with flour; thus adding gluten. Most of my ingredients are organic but you can use whatever you have on hand!

Simple Potato Soup

Potatoes - peel and dice them (Cut in 1/2, then take 1/2 and cut that in 1/4, repeat with outher 1/2) How many depends on how big a pot you want to make!

1 Quart Chicken Broth - I always use this amount but if I am making a huge pot (12 qts) I use water for the remaining liquid.

3-4 minced garlic cloves

1 1/2 Cup milk - or one can evaporated milk (not the sweetened stuff)

Bring broth to boil and add HALF the potatoes. Add some salt and boil til you can mash them up. Once done, mash them in pot with broth.

Taste and see if you need any more salt added. Since I can my broth, I don't add any salt to it so on a recipe like this, I have to add some. If you're using store-canned broth, you may not need to add any!!!



Bring mashed potatoes and broth back to a boil. Add the rest of the diced potatoes and the garlic. Sprinkle in some black pepper. These are going to give you the potato chunks while the mashed portion will give you the girth and thickness so desired in potato soup.

Once boiling again, put lid on and turn heat down. You don't want it to scorch. (Stick to the bottom and burn.)

30 minutes before you want the soup served, add the milk.

Serve with thick bread.

For sustainable living, these are ingredients am I not without. So, it's an easy supper with the most time consuming part being peeling the potatoes! Should you need to thicken the soup more and want/need to keep in gluten-free, you can add instant potatoes to the soup and that will give it more girth, as well. Sometimes I end up doing this because I added too much or too little of something. The important thing is being brave and trusting your taste buds to steer you in the right direction!!!

Did I mention this was a very economical soup? Boy is it ever!!! And, it heats up well the next day - and the next... we should know! ;)

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my blog! I may not reply to each one but know that I read each and every comment.

May God Bless You!