Tuesday, March 04, 2014

#LentChallenge 2014

http://mar.cta.gs/09r


Margaret Feinberg has compiled a great resource on how to listen to the audio Bible for free.  I tried this one out and really liked it:
The Streaming Bible has great dramatization reading which we enjoy. 

I mentioned last week how I wasn't sure what we were going to do this year for Lent.  The kids and I had a nice long conversation last night and we will continue to conversation tonight with their daddy. 

In order to make a decision about what we are going to give up or add for Lent, we need to see where we are with Jesus. We talked about:

· What habits do I have that do not bring me closer to Jesus?

· What things would be really hard for me not to do or have on a daily basis?

· Are there any areas that I am strong in and others I am weak in?

· Do I spend too much time doing one thing in particular?

Here are the highlights from my 16, 9 and 6 year old children:

~ We don't read the Bible enough but our strength is prayer.

~ We spend too much time in front of a screen (computer or TV.).

~ One is going to fast from secular reading, computer time and is going to add Bible reading and doing chores without complaint* for Lent.

~ One is going to fast from the T.V. and will read his Bible daily. He also will do his chores without complaint*.

~ One is going to fast from secular music and from using sarcasm; adding Bible reading and encouraging others into the mix.

*Now, about the chores... they are going to get paid a penny for every chore they do. They will be reminded to look at the chore list. That's it. They are to do their daily chores without complaint and without me hounding, yelling or crying to get them to do them. In return, on Good Friday, we will go together to the rescue mission and donate the entire jar of pennies to them. So, we all give so we can give. I'm willing to give a shot!

To see this again:


And this:


And to know that my baby is getting his study on with Jesus!
 
 
This Quaker girl is learning that Lent is not about giving something up; it's about preparing our hearts for the greatest celebration this side of heaven!
 
This Quaker girl is allowing time and space for to prepare heart heart for Him.  I want to give something up so I can give.  To give something up so there is more room for what Jesus wants. 
 
Starting tomorrow, we are going to read through the New Testament in 40 days as a family.  You can find a great reading plan here
 

#Lent2014 #LentChallenge

1 comment:

  1. Joy, I am so thrilled you are joining us for the #LentChallenge. I can't wait to hear what you and your family learn during this season.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my blog! I may not reply to each one but know that I read each and every comment.

May God Bless You!