Saturday, October 08, 2016

Distractions




Distraction.  Merriam-Webster dictionary defines a distraction as: something that makes it difficult to think or pay attention; something that amuses or entertains you so that you do not think about problems, work, etc.; a state in which you are very annoyed or upset.  I was distracted this week.  While not a new occurrence, I usually handle my distractions exactly as Merriam-Webster describes!  I had a hard time thinking and paying attention to what I needed to (school and research project) and I was very annoyed or upset (not that uncommon either).  The difference this week, though, was what I did while “distracted.”  Instead of spinning my wheels and wasting time, I read verses over and over again.  I re-read emails sent as encouragement to me as a Quaker woman called to pastoral ministry and others reminded me of God’s provision.  I looked up things I had prayed for and saw some AWESOME answers to prayer that I had not gone back and thanked God for.  So, I did it this week.  I looked for ways to remind myself of God’s provision and care in my life and the lives of those I love and care about.  I claimed them as assurance and promise for the plans He has for me.  One lesson I learned this week was while some distractions are negative and serve no other purpose than to take our eyes OFF Jesus, some distractions are needed to stop thinking about unimportant things and focus ON Jesus!  Not all distractions are bad – this week the rabbit trails I went down took me down paths of hope, assurance, affirmation, and calling. 

Like others, I can get caught in a cycle of selfishness, thinking if something is connected to me in some way then in must be about me in some way.  Thankfully, I learned another lesson this week in which the Holy Spirit stepped in and made it very clear to me that what I was worried about was not about me at all but about Satan fighting for me.  It was AMAZING to hear the Holy Spirit say, “This is my battle.”  I am not sure I have ever felt the Holy Spirit physically stand between me and Satan but I did this week.  There was a physical barrier and I just have to say, it was “goosebumps” awesome! 

I John 5:18, “I am born of God, and the evil one cannot touch me!”

“I have been rescued from Satan’s domain and transferred into the kingdom of Christ” (Col. 1:13).

“I have been established, anointed, and sealed by God” (2 Cor. 1:21, 22).

At the end of the week, I can say, with assurance, the words to the song I have been singing, “It is well!”

 
 References

Distraction. (n.d.). Retrieved October 8, 2016, from http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/distraction
 
#HolySpirit #QuakerWomen #Deliverance

1 comment:

  1. God is so good when we decide to rest in Him and with Him. I am reminded of it as today went by. I was PUTTING UP TRIM OVER THE siding that I have replaced and the trim pieces were 20 feet long, I was wrestling with it when I said Lord give me a hand and then I was able to put it up with Gods help.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my blog! I may not reply to each one but know that I read each and every comment.

May God Bless You!