Thursday, March 13, 2008

Query 13 - Green Moma

Am I green? I think so. I am going incorporate my green talks with my walk with Christ label because for me, they go hand in hand.

For example, The Queries are "thoughtful questions that remind people of the spiritual and moral values Friends seek to uphold." If you go here, you will find Spokane Friends has a very nice page devoted to The Queries and what they all are.

Today, I want to look at Query 13 - "Is your life marked by simplicity? Are you free from the burden of unnecessary possessions? Do you avoid waste? Do you refuse to let the prevailing culture and media dictate your needs and values?" Four questions to ponder and live by. Let's take them as A - D so as not to confuse them with the numbers associated with the Queries.

This is where I find being green goes hand in hand with my faith. A.) Is my life marked by simplicity? I try. I don't feel I'm extravagant in my dress, outward appearance, home decor, children's lives, etc. My question for you is, Do you see my life as one being marked by simplicity? Really, it means nothing if I think it is but nobody else does.

B.) Are you free from the burden of unnecessary possessions? Goodness no! I have more STUFF than I know what to do with! But, I am making progress, I think. We as a family are discussing purchases more and evaluating the need versus want value of things. Do I need another pair of shoes? No. Do I want them? Yes. If I get them then I will give some of my older ones to good will.... that kind of thinking. I've just started this with the girls. If they get a new (read newer) item of clothing, they MUST get rid of an article of clothing. This makes them really think about how bad they want something, knowing something else is going to have to go.

C.) Do you avoid waste? Boy, I sure think so!!! From leftover meals to finding a use for things that wasn't their intended purpose.

Here is a picture of Sky taken Monday at the recycle place. This was her second trip this month. As you can see, there are MANY bags in the trailer we had to use since there were too many for my Suburban. She has 65 pounds here. Plus the 30 pounds she had before. That's 95 pounds of cans, peoples!!! And, it's a whopping $51.30 for Mexico! She actually made $57 but after her tithe, it's the $51.30 and really, she only had quarters so decided to make it $5.75 so that left her with $51.25 for her fund. I'm so proud. It's one thing for me to do this stuff but when my kids start doing it, on their own, it's a big mommy moment.
Back to the avoid waste - I say yes, I do. But more importantly, WHAT DO YOU THINK I DO? See, I am striving for perfection, right? So, I need feedback, loving feedback, of course.
and D.) Do you refuse to let the prevailing culture and media dicate your needs and values? EEEWWWHHH, this one is tough. Aside from the Guitar Hero addiction - it really has created MANY family nights of fun and that is important, right? I know I let it dictate some of my needs - my new Pearl Blackberry for example is SO utterly awesome. But I didn't need it. But I like it. See my quandry? I don't see me adjusting my values to what media and culture are doing. We're very modest on dress, strict on music and movies our kids see, we don't allow the T.V. to just be "on" for the kids. All music must be approved, books, etc. But I know that I could shape up in this area. Technology is grand but it does add an element of need versus want to ones life, at least mine.
Upcoming? Some ways I am truly a green mommy. Oh, after reading Heather's post on these, I bought FIVE! 'Cause really, people, how often do you think I would need ONE grocery sack? I'm already in love and made the checker put my other purchased items in the nifty new sack. That's me - thinkin', not wastin'!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10:46 PM

    You are such a great and wonderful encourager and definately the Green Moma..
    Love,
    The Hubby

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my blog! I may not reply to each one but know that I read each and every comment.

May God Bless You!